HCV Positive

This blog is a journal recording my personal experiences with Hepatitis C.

Location: United Kingdom

I have hepatitis c, genotype 1b and started 48 weeks combination treatment, pegylated interferon alpha 2b and ribavirin in August 05. Unfortunately due to intolerance, treatment was withdrawn after only 2 weeks. I am not sure at present what the future holds.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Let's start with Malaria

About 4 years ago I was rushed into hospital with falciparum malaria, a few hours later I had a complete blood exchange and was fighting for my life. I was put on kidney dialisis and developed pneumonia and much later found I'd also had west nile fever and possibly yellow fever.

I don't know how long I'd been in hospital before my consultant came to see me, I was dreadfully ill and hallucinating with fever. I remember him speaking to me but I could not open my eyes. "I'm afraid I have some bad news for you" he told me before informing me that they had found I had hepatitis C. He told me I was very sick, they were very worried about me and it would be a long time before I was better. This really cheered me up.

I asked for more information on hepatitis c in the hospital but got only sparse information on a flyer. A friend searched the web and printed off lots of information, mostly from U.S. and posted this to me. Sadly, in my vulnerable state, this had the unfortunate effect of absolutely terrifying me and I was convinced by the information and the remarks from my consultant about the length of time I may have had the virus, that there was a significant possibility that despite surviving the malaria etc against all odds, that I was now going to die from hepatitis C.

Bits of information filtered through from my consultant, I now understood that I needed to wait about 10 weeks until my liver recovered from the malaria before I had a liver biopsy which would determine how advanced the hepatitis C was. I told my consultant I was very scared because I may have had the virus over 20 years hoping for some reassurance, he responded by telling me that they couldn't tell me anything until after the biopsy and that he was very worried also. This just reinforced my fears that I may be terminal and I was too afraid to ask any more.

I was bed bound for weeks after I returned home and still convinced my hepatitis C may be fatal. I was still in telephone contact with the medical team at the hospital and during one of the calls I spoke to a man who was very sympathetic and sensitive. He realised that I was in a black depression and afraid to die, he kindly explained to me that it was extremely unlikely I would die from hepatitis C. I started to get stronger after this. I did get some further news from the hospital that I had low functioning thyroid.

About 3 months later I had the biopsy which I didn't like at all. I was still weak from the malaria and I just found it awful. The results however showed I had only mild inflammation.


Blogger Carol said...

Hi Misspoppy,

Great to meet you. Found your site via Nick's. Hope you keep up the blog and than we can all keep up with how you are doing. It seems that you have had one hell of a rough time. You might find that the next few months. prior to treatment go very slowly, but it will come. There are a lot of others out there with Hep C who run blogs. Take a look at the side of Nick's site and you will find some.
Anyway, hope to hear more from you soon.
Take care,

12:34 PM  
Blogger misspoppy said...

Hey Carol,

How exciting to receive your comments, the first ever, thank you so much.
I was wondering whether the bit in my blog, 'about me', might put some people off, so I was especially touched to hear from you.
I feel as though the time to my treatment is just whizzing by. There is so much to organise at home and at work. At the same time I want to make the most of the next few weeks doing good stuff whilst I still feel ok.
First on the agenda is a holiday to Crete and I'm looking forward to that in about 10 days time.
I found that I could access your blog via Nick's site, so I will visit it soon, perhaps even set up a link if I can get the hang of it.
In the meantime thanks again for dropping by and I hope I hear from you again soon.
Good wishes
Miss Poppy

11:39 PM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Misspoppy,

I also just found your blog through Nick's site and am so happy to discover another hep c blogger! Wow, it sounds like your diagnostic experience was something else. Congratulations on getting through such a rough ordeal.

I agree with Carol's comment that the wait to start treatment can seem very long indeed. Once going though, things do speed up - have 5 shots to go personally, having completed #19 this weekend (genotype 3a).

If it is okay with you, I'll link to you on my blogsite. Looking forward to following your blog,


11:47 AM  
Blogger misspoppy said...

Hi Sue

I am happy to meet you and I am delighted that you are going to create a link to me on your blogsite.
I have changed a bit of my blog, the 'about me' bit. I decided that it may restrict me.
Congratulations on the progress you are making with treatment, and with only 5 more jabs to go you should be able to enjoy the best of the summer when you finish.
As I said to Carol, the time to my treatment is whizzing by, I have waited years for this and now just want to make the most of my remaining weeks before therapy.
I will visit your site soon and learn more about you.
Thanks again for dropping by.
Good wishes

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home